Thursday, January 23, 2014

Torah Thoughts - Mishpatim

And Then G-D said to Moses, "Come up to Me on the mountain top and be present; and I will give you tablets of stone, and the Torah and commandments which I have written, that you may teach them."
So with those words of G-D, Moses made his way up to the mountain top, with his very own group of advisors, but reached a plateau and advised them to stay put, and he finished upward to the top all alone.  And as Moses approached the mountain top and a cloud covered it, the sincere and joyous glory of G-D rested upon the top, and upon the 7th   Day, G-D called out for Moses in the midst of the fog, and Moses approached G-d, waiting upon the mountain for 40 days and for 40 nights.

The prayer ‘Ahavat Olam’ (אהבת עולם, Eternal love) is the second prayer that is recited during evening services, ‘Ma’ariv’. It is the parallel blessing to Ahava Rabbah (Abundant Love) that is recited during morning services, Shacharit, and likewise, is an expression to G-d for the gift of the Torah and its Commandments.
 Ahavat Olam
‘Ahavat olam beyt yisrael am-ha ahavta,
Torah u-mitzvot, hukim u-mish-patim otanu limad'ta.’  This is the very 1st sentence of this beautiful prayer.

With everlasting love, You have loved Your people Israel. You have taught us the Torah and its Mitzvot. You have instructed us in its laws and judgments.
Therefore, Adonai our G-d, when we lie down and when we rise up, we shall speak of Your commandments and rejoice in Your Torah and Mitzvot.
For they are our life and the length of our days; on them we will meditate day and night. May you never take away Your love from us. Praised are You, Adonai, for loving Your people Israel.
The prayer is done with reflection upon G-d’s love for the people Israel through the gift of Torah and its commandments.
It is such a meaningful and powerful prayer, full of true meaning, of heart, of love, of faith, of reverence, and derived from fact, and that of a true story, this Parsha/Portion. 
Prayer is really beautiful and full of history; we are so blessed to have prayers based on The Torah and its commandments! 
Each and every single day, I get up and upon standing, or at least my attempt, I “Thank G-d” for allowing me to get out of bed, stand up, be alive, and Thankful for the day ahead! Then stretch and wash.  This is my manner of prayer every morning daily. My very own tailored “Modeh Ani”…..because I do indeed give Thanks for awaking my soul:
Translation: I offer thanks before you, living and eternal King, for You have mercifully restored my soul within me; Your faithfulness is great.  The prayer is Talmudic in nature, although my version each and every day is “Barry” in nature. 
Prayer comes from the heart. Prayer comes from one’s soul, from a person’s experiences in life. Is Torah, the commandments, and the mitzvahs that we read and studying, be it daily, weekly, or at our own leisure, help us have a basis or base for our own prayer?  Absolutely and positively!  Extremely IMPACTFUL!!!!
My morning prayers are recited and said partly in Hebrew (Tefillin) and washing of my hands, and the remainder in plain English , just expressing ‘Thanks’ and a bright outlook, day in and day out, in my own words. It is indeed prayer at its finest, because it comes from my heart and my soul and my beliefs and my study of the Torah!  It starts my day the RIGHT-ous way!
And, Each and every evening at dinner, each member of my family has to share one thing that they would change to make better that day, and one aspect that you’re ‘Thankful’ for…….. Does it take thought, does it take time, and does it take heart and soul?  Yes, it does! Do my kids play possum of sorts? Of course, but they do participate, and it is this that allows them to say aloud, ‘Thank You G-d for (fill in the blank), or an interpretation there of.

We are so very blessed to have Torah and its teachings/commandments and the prayers based upon those teachings, whether it in Hebrew, English, Spanish, Yiddish, Portuguese, etc, and be it read and recited, and/or just said aloud as you go along, like I do daily!
It is not the format, but rather the heartfelt soulness one gives of him/herself in prayer.  Words can be mixed, tunes can be off, but one’s feelings hold true with sincere prayer and Torah!
Baruch Ata adonoi elo heynu melach ha-olam.......…..and may all of you find a spiritual bond with Torah and YOUR personal journey through prayer.

-Amen-

No comments:

Post a Comment