Wednesday, September 26, 2018

Ha izinu - Torah With A Twist - Walk The Walk

Ha izinu - Torah With A Twist - Walk The Walk




 About 8 years ago, my SMART phone was with me on the dinner table while (I wasn’t being so smart) having dinner with my family, and my sweet little daughter politely asked me, “Daddy isn’t that rude of you to have your cell phone on the table when it’s family time!?”   I always preach it!   I started to say, “Do as I…….”  I STOPPED right there, and said, “Mia, you’re so very right!”  I removed my phone from the area and focused on what I should be focusing on.  I was being a hypocrite and not leading by example, and not just hurting myself, but my children as well……NO!  NO more do as I say, NOT as “I” do!   Who am “I”? Have a turned into a different generation? 

It is true that one who goes astray, or deviates is not just harming oneself, but that he/she is also harming others, be it silently or otherwise.  I should have honestly realized and thought, as other parents, I must set the pace, the rules, and proper actions with in and out of my own home!   My children’s perception is directly related to my own actions and behaviors.  Do I want a blemish on my own report card, or on theirs?  No, of course not!   The mind and thought process of a child, and even an adult is very sensitive and has a difficult time accepting insincerity or stories.

 My Mom used to say, and might be why I say it, “Actions speaks LOUDER than words.”  She’s always……., well is/was usually right!   In fact, my folks were visiting for the High Holy Days last week, and my mom made a statement about MY health (I am absolutley fine) and even prefaced it by saying, “Not that I am, but ……”I never heard an “I told ya’ so….”  She and my dad really did lead by example, thankfully!  Very few, “do as I say, not as I do…” ……. Very moralistic, honest, true and loving parents that lead by a true example.

The Torah teaches us that a person who expects his/her children to grow into good, upstanding, solid people, while he/she walks and continues to follow a deviated path, that at times might even seem lackadaisical, should honestly realize that he/she is NOT just acting for him/herself, but for his/her own child, and those persons they surround!  Even if a parent sent his/her child to the finest school in town, he/she MUST also augment the most correct behaviors to set an example and be a fine teacher in their own environment as well.  Lead by example!

This same love and affection & lofty expectations which he/she has for his/her child can be paralleled to your own relationship with humanity and the world that surrounds you!    Set an example, be the example, even when nobody's looking!

We all fall from perfect, and we must always remember our true obligations, not just as a parent or that of a human being, but as a loving and endearing person and understand and take ALL the responsibilities that go with the position.

No comments:

Post a Comment